Bagdogra is a census town in Darjeeling district in the Indian state of West Bengal.It is a town in the Darjeeling district of West Bengal, India, which is surrounded by the tea gardens. It is part of the Greater Siliguri Metropolitan Area. It is well connected by air from four major cities of India – Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata & Chennai. Bagdogra has a railway station & Airport is the only airport in North Bengal, which is now a Customs Airport.
Nearby Tea Garden:
- Sannyasithan Tea Estate
- Singhia Jhora Tea Estate
- Bagdogra Tea Estate
- Kamal Pur Tea Estate
- Bengdubi Tea Estate
- Atal Tea Estate
- Paharghoomai Tea Estate
- Bagdogra is located at 26.42°N 88.19°E.
- It is 11 km away from Siliguri, which is second largest city of the West Bengal.
- It has two National Highways :- AH 2 and NH 31C. It also has Aisan Highway (AH2) which is connected with Nepal and Bangladesh.
- It also connects many town & city like Siliguri, Kishanganj, Darjeeling, Gangtok Jalpaiguri, Malbazar, Birpara, Islampur, Kharibari, Nepal, Pankabari, Mirik.
- Most of Bagdogra’s economy is related with service sector, with a noticeable presence of the Army and the Air Force.
- Tea production and processing is the major industry here.
- The Airport more market is renowned for products sourced from China.
- On every Thursday and Sunday, Bagdogra hosts a weekly bazaar, where fresh fruits and vegetables are sold.
- Public and private sector banks like ICICI, Indian Overseas Bank, Bank Of India, State Bank of India, Central Bank, Syndicate bank, etc. as well as insurance companies like the Life Insurance Corporation of India, and United India Assurance have their branches and offices in Bagdogra.
- There are many temples, mosques, churches and gumpas in Bagdogra, illustrating the presence of all faiths in the town.
- There are three mode of transport system: Airway, Railway, and Roadway.
- The one airport, Bagdogra Airport is located in about 16 km (9.9 mi) west of the city of Siliguri in the Darjeeling district in northern West Bengal, India.
- It is operated as a civil enclave at Air Force Station Bagdogra.
- It is the gateway airport to the hill station towns of Darjeeling, Kurseong, Mirik, and Kalimpong and the state of Sikkim, and sees thousands of tourists annually.
- Airport is a major stop in the region with flights connecting Kolkata, New Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Chennai and Guwahati. The airport also has regular helicopter flights to Gangtok, the capital of Sikkim. The central government of India conferred customs airport status to the airport in 2002 with limited international operations.Air traffic at Bagdogra crossed 1 million for the first time growing at 43.6% percent in 2014-15. This is one of the few airports in India with zero sales tax on aviation turbine fuel.
- It has a Railway Station under NFR Siliguri – Katihar (Division) Railway which connect many town :- Siliguri, Bagdogra, Naxalbari, Thakurganj, Aluabari(Islampur), Kishanganj, Katihar.
- It has two National Highways :- NH 31 and NH 31C. It also has Aisan Highway (AH2) which is connected with Nepal and Bangladesh.
- It provides a gateway to the state of North – East India.
- It connects to Jhumri, Tilaiya, Koderma, Nawada, Bihar Sharif, Harnaut, Bakhtiarpur, Mokameh, Begusarai, Purnea, Dalkhola, Kishanganj, Bagdogra, Siliguri, Malbazar, Dhupguri, Alipurduar, Birpara, Islampur, Sonapur, Bidhan Nagar, Khari Bari, Nepal etc.